Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: can't login

can't login 1 year 11 months ago #1534

• eminger
  • Fresh Boarder
:whistle: Hello,
Just installed Toorox 32 bit, Gnome and I cannot login to my account. I was expecting a GUI but there is only command line. I tried the name and pass I used to install with to no avail. I tried the defaults (user & root), and got the red "Toorox" line. I tried to get the manual but no luck. Can anyone help? Sorry for such a noob question... :whistle:
Thanks
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: can't login 1 year 11 months ago #1535

• Joern
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 5
Hello eminger,

how much disk space has your Toorox partition?

Re: can't login 1 year 11 months ago #1536

• eminger
  • Fresh Boarder
Thanks for the quick reply. Unless the installation went wrong it should be 30 GB. Swap was 4GB. Should I reinstall?
Thanks

Re: can't login 1 year 11 months ago #1537

• Joern
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 5
Yes, reinstall.

Re: can't login 1 year 11 months ago #1538

• eminger
  • Fresh Boarder
I'll give it a try...Thanks, and thank you for your work. :)

Re: can't login 1 year 11 months ago #1539

• eminger
  • Fresh Boarder
Hello Joern,
Just a quick update that might help another Linux novice down the road sometime. :unsure:
Apparently, the OS was being installed on the 4GB swap partition. When I started the installer on unformatted hdd the installer first looked for a swap partition. Not finding one it asked if I wanted to create one...I clicked "OK". Although I only have 512MB's of RAM on this machine at the moment I intend to increase to 2GB so I made the swap 4GB. I then created ext.2 partition with the remainder of the disk and targeted it for installation. Following the installer I was putting the swap in front of ext.2. This is the only reason I can see for installer loading entire OS in swap.
After trying and failing a second time I decided to put swap at the end of the partition table instead of the beginning. This time it worked flawlessly! :woohoo:
Again, thanks for the OS, I'm looking forward to learning much.

Re: can't login 1 year 11 months ago #1540

• eminger
  • Fresh Boarder
Successful installation...

Gateway Performance 1000 out of the box specs 2001:

PC WorldBench 2000 score of 154, Pentium III-1000 CPU, 128MB of SDRAM, 256KB L2 cache, Windows Me, 20GB hard drive, 22X-48X CD-ROM drive, integrated Intel 815 graphics with UMA, 17-inch Gateway EV700 monitor, Creative Audio PCI (CT5806) sound card, Boston Acoustics BA265 speakers, V.90 modem, network adapter, midsize tower case, Microsoft Works Suite 2001.

$1179 <<< look at the price! :silly:

upgrades (if you can call them that!) >>> 512MB RAM, 40GB HDD, DVD RW, Cisco-Linksys WUSB54GP wireless USB card (supported by Toorox out of the box), Broadcom BCM4318 (AirForce One 54g) 802.11g wireless PCI card (marketed as Linksys), Supported by Toorox out of the box.
SWEET!! I couldn't pay OSX to install drivers for either wireless card! :sick:
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.192 seconds