Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Fresh Install. Now What?

Fresh Install. Now What? 2 years 4 months ago #1466

• embra55
  • Fresh Boarder
Hi there,
I've just installed Toorox and was wondering what I do next.
I've run "emerge --sync" from Porthole by clicking on the Sync button (as Root). At the end I received a message to update portage, which I did through root terminal.
I wanted to install ufw & it's graphical frontend, so I read through the portage page in the gentoo handbook. Did a search for ufw, then a pretend install, then proceeded to do the actual install. All went well, and firewall is enabled & set to start at boot.
What I'd like to do now is to find out if I have to update my system. If I do, which commands do I use? In the gentoo handbook there are 4 options & I'm not sure which one I should use, if I have to update at all. The options for updating are:
1. emerge --update --ask world
2. emerge --update --deep world
3. emerge --update --deep --with-bdeps=y world
4. emerge --update --deep --with-bdeps=y --newuse world
Reading through the portage page, I would use no.3, as I haven't, as far as I know, changed any USE flags.
Having been used to having automatic updates in gnome & kde distro's, gentoo is completely new to me, and from what I have experienced so far, a lot quicker.
This is by the way, my fourth install of Toorox. The previous ones I tried figuring out what to do by myself, the end result being a broken system. So now's the time for some guidance.
Thanks in advance for any help.
embra55
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Fresh Install. Now What? 2 years 4 months ago #1467

Hello embra55, wecome!
I am a newbie to Toorox also and have been visiting Gentoo's forums also, it appears toorox is a little different to gentoo in updating/upgrading the system, though i have not looked into that side as yet. Firstly though you need to 'update portage' the engine behind portato and porthole. Visit this link: toorox.de/index.php/en/forum/29-linux-newbie/1432-run-emerge-portage-now
There you will find your answer. Other than the gui tools such as portato and porthole, and of cause the installer, it is gentoo. There also maybe some differences in the standard Flag settings, though i have also yet to confirm this.

"yes, use these commands for toorox.
imho make a system-upgrade before install software: eix-sync && emerge -avuND world"

Steve

Aw: Re: Fresh Install. Now What? 2 years 4 months ago #1468

• rolandx1
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 5
eix-sync && emerge -avuND world is a good idea, but first you should edit package.use:
su root
nano /etc/portage/package.use

and add:

media-sound/audacious gtk3 -gtk
media-plugins/audacious-plugins gtk3 -gtk

after hat you can run eix-sync && emerge -avuND and hope all works well :)
irc.freenode.net
channel: #calculate #calculate-de
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.189 seconds