Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: i like it... but... got anything lighter-weight?

i like it... but... got anything lighter-weight? 4 years 2 weeks ago #896

• Digit
  • Fresh Boarder
i love it.

i loved it the moment i saw it on my desktop, i loved it the moment i heard there was another gentoo based distro on the scene.

i'm curious if there are any plans to release a lightware or basic core version?

if there are no such plans,
here are my suggestions,
get such plans,
and/or
make the feature to re-roll a live/installer version of the current system as accessable as possible.

;)

then i can make it myself. :) and so can everyone else.

utterly love toorox, it's likely to replace sabayon as my main distro.
... cant wait to get it kitted out with my squishboom configs and apps [openbox, tint2, tilda, conky, lxappearance, obconf, n stuff]. yup, style of crunchbang's or archbang's "desktop environment". ;)
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Aw: i like it... but... got anything lighter-weight? 4 years 2 weeks ago #897

• Joern
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 5
Hi Digit,

you are not the only one who wants a lightweight edition with Openbox :) but i've build Toorox for rookies and i think that i can't pre-configure Openbox for such an unexperienced user.

Greetings

Joern

Re: i like it... but... got anything lighter-weight? 4 years 2 weeks ago #898

• Digit
  • Fresh Boarder
thnx for the reply joern.
you are not the only one who wants a lightweight edition with Openbox but i've build Toorox for rookies and i think that i can't pre-configure Openbox for such an unexperienced user.

well... i'll gladly help out.

for about three years now, i'm a familiar face around the forums of a few distros featuring openbox. crunchbang, slitaz, archbang. i have even been working away at my own crunchbang inspired remix "squishboom", which would feature many augments to the vanilla-crunchbang openbox configuration.

i've just reinstalled the gnome version this minute, over the kde version, intending to work towards getting a rich n sturdy openbox configuration & selection of lightweight apps to accompany openbox (like obconf, obkey, gtk-chtheme, etc).

but it seems it wont boot for kernel panics now. :/ pretty sure that didnt happen last time i tried toorox-gnome. ahhh, fun. :) nuthin like some troubleshooting in the wee small hours of the night.

so, anyways, once i get booting into the gnome installed version, i'll set to work on my configs, and shall try to ensure they're more universally useful, and then share them with the toorox community. :)

i've looked into, but never tried metro (which i assume u use to make toorox), and if it's anything like my experiences over at arch with archiso and larch, it's a big load of work and a lot of head scratching, that i'll probably leave to you ( ~ curiosity will no doubt bite me though). ;)

remastersys on ubuntu, tazlito on slitaz, and the easy "roll your own" features found in pclinuxos, some mandriva derived distros, and likely others i've not yet discovered... these i think are incredibly powerful tools for the newbies to engage in the shared development of free software, as they require no programming knowledge. heck, they're generally so easy u dont even need any linux knowledge.

that would really shake up the distro landscape if a gentoo-based distro suddenly offered the same level of ease for creating your own custom live/installer CD/USB. ^_^

anyways,i wanna get a bit over-gushing again,
I utterly love toorox!
i've parused as many gentoo based distributions as i can find (and about 400 other distros too)... and of the lot... right now, i choose toorox. well done you. :)

Re: i like it... but... got anything lighter-weight? 4 years 2 weeks ago #899

• Digit
  • Fresh Boarder
gosh, i sure can ramble on huh?

anyways, just wanted to update my non-booting gnome issue,
i followed the advice here: toorox.de/index.php/en/forum/39-installation/890-092010-qgnomeq-doesnt-boot-from-hd-solution
but still had problems.

it seemed to help by adding after title, "root [hd0,4]" in grub's menu.list, but that wasnt the whole story, i have another set to [hd1,4] which seems necessary if i have another usb drive plugged in that wants to superceed it, but then i got the kernel panic errors.
so, i've now happily booted into gnome after having removed my pendrives and usb external. coulda been that one of the pendrives has a system on it that was dd'd from being sda1 elsewhere.

alls well now.

on with the configuring and emerging and dodging a barrage of blocked packages. XD

Aw: Re: i like it... but... got anything lighter-weight? 4 years 1 week ago #900

• Joern
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 5
i've looked into, but never tried metro (which i assume u use to make toorox)
No, i've built Toorox manually without the help of a remaster tool. I've combined a stage3 Gentoo system with the modified initrc live script and some tools from Knoppix to get the property for a live-system. Then i've installed the most favorite and necessary applications and a fully preconfigured KDE - and voila - Toorox was born. :)
remastersys on ubuntu, tazlito on slitaz, and the easy "roll your own" features found in pclinuxos
that would really shake up the distro landscape if a gentoo-based distro suddenly offered the same level of ease for creating your own custom live/installer CD/USB.
I will take a look at these tools.
i have even been working away at my own crunchbang inspired remix "squishboom", which would feature many augments to the vanilla-crunchbang openbox configuration.
You can remaster Toorox, too - manually. And then build it with Openbox ;-)

Joern

Aw: i like it... but... got anything lighter-weight? 3 years 11 months ago #942

• yogi77
  • Fresh Boarder
Hi Jörn.

I also like this Gentoo distro, I installed the KDE version and it just works! I would also appreciate some kind of (German :blush: ) stage3 / basic X & KDE version with the possibility to select additional packages I want to install. That would be the perfect mix (and would save me a lot of time)!

Really good work, thx!

Stefan
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.277 seconds