Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Macbook Pro 7,1

Macbook Pro 7,1 3 years 2 months ago #1170

Does anyone have any advice on getting Toorox onto a 2010 MBP 7,1?

I'm not a newbie, and I used to be a fairly adept Gentoo admin however getting linux to work natively on an MBP is an exercise in futility.

Once the liveDVD 06.2011 (Gnome) boots, the GUI doesn't come up properly. Is there a kernel mode switch I have to pass on boot, or a specific video mode?

I'm going to try 07.2011 (KDE) and then do some searching on the Gentoo Forums.

Any help is appreciated.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Macbook Pro 7,1 3 years 2 months ago #1171

• Joern
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 5
Hi nolsen311,
Does anyone have any advice on getting Toorox onto a 2010 MBP 7,1?
Not really. I've tested booting the Live-System
on an older MBP - working. But i've not tested the installation process. I think there's a nvidia chip on board?
Then you can add the cheatcode xmodule=nouveau or xmodule=nv to the end of Kernel command line. If it's a Radeon chip add xmodule=ati.

Re: Macbook Pro 7,1 3 years 2 months ago #1172

neither of these works...

I've used xmodule=nouveau (detected;mostly black, single white line at top) xmodule=nv (won't boot into X) xmodule=nvidia (completely black screen)

I even tried some of the intel modules, hoping that maybe it was due to that screwy nVidia Optimus setup. (i810,i915,i945) but all of these were equivalent to using =nv.

It tries to start gdm, but can't get the screen to work. I'd be open to trying to get this setup on my own, but I can't get logged in at the CLI. (root, user) doesn't work.

Re: Macbook Pro 7,1 3 years 2 months ago #1173

• Joern
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 5
Hmm, try standard driver xmodule=vesa.

CLI login:
root - pw: root
user - pw: user
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.299 seconds